Saturday 29 August 2009

Look Ma, No Hands

Just a short post. Today I renounced the crutches all together. I walked to town using my own two legs, I bought my own shopping and I even got myself a coffee. It took me about twice as long as it normally would, but it's early days.

The physio said that I might want to use the one crutch to walk about outside, but I was feeling quite strong when I was pottering about the house. So I decided to try without the clicky stick. I got to the end of the road and was feeling fine, so I carried on.

It's amazingly liberating to be able to walk completely unaided after spending the last two weeks on crutches unable to use my hands for anything other than walking.

Hot on the heels of that success, I had a wander to the garage and bought some chocolate. I measured out the route and it's a 2km round trip, which took me 30 minutes. So by this evening I was limping at about 4kph, which works out at 2.5mph rather than my usual cruising pace of about 5-6mph. Still I cant expect to be on my usual form just 1 week after surgery.

Next week I am planning on going to the art shop in Guildford to pick up the things I need for my current commission. I was expecting to not be able to do this for many weeks. Really pleased about that. I feel like life is starting again now.

Now time for some more leg strengthening exercises...

No comments:

Post a Comment